Certificate Overview: Few choices are more important than those about career selection. This certificate offers a comprehensive array of programs and resources that support and facilitate career development. By crystallizing and specifying career goals; expanding knowledge of career alternatives; understanding effective decision-making; and acquiring appropriate strategies and skills to carry out the job search process, this certificate can help you identify your strengths and interests and learn how to connect them with career options. Furthermore, you will be given opportunities to connect with potential employment and educational resources.
- Increase your self-awareness and explore career areas of interest. Action steps:
- Complete self-assessments and online inventories.
- Explore results of online inventories to determine career areas based on your interests, values, and skills.
- Explore and evaluate career areas of interest. Action steps:
- Complete in-depth research of careers related to academic and personal interests.
- Conduct informational meetings with relevant mentors.
- Attend career fairs, industry panels, and company information sessions.
- Gain an awareness of what employers are looking for when hiring. Action steps:
- Complete a module identifying the 9 Career & Life Essentials employers are seeking.
- Identify "Career Essentials" that you have and those that you need acquire.
- Develop self-marketing skills. Action steps:
- Through online and face-to-face resources, learn the various forms of a resume and create one appropriate for your current career objective(s).
- Through online and face-to-face resources, master interviewing skills specific to various types of interviews.
- Develop your career plan. Action steps:
- Pursue academic program related to career goals.
- Utilize Nittany Lion Recruiting and career and grad school fairs; network with alumni.
- Apply for and acquire appropriate internships, part time jobs, professional positions, and graduate school admissions.
|Introduction to Career Planning Certificate||required workshop overviewing entire certificate|
|Self-Assessment Activities||required online module + followup experiences|
|Researching Career Options||required online module + followup experiences|
|Informational Interviewing||required online module + followup experiences|
|WHAT EMPLOYERS WANT|
|Career & Life Essentials||required online module + followup experiences|
|Professional CV/Resume Development||required online or face-to-face module + followup experiences|
|Interviewing Skills||required online or face-to-face module + followup experiences|
|PLANNING YOUR SEARCH|
|Job Searching Skills||required online module + followup experiences|
|Capstone Session||required capstone session + followup experiences|